Last updated on March 2021.
Seiko Watch Corporation offers online resources that provide product-related information and services, as well as corporate news, employment and other information related to our business.
The protection of personal data, as well as compliance with privacy and data protection laws and regulations, is important to our organization and affiliates. We aim to ensure the privacy rights of our consumers, business contacts, and employees when we handle information about them.
This policy only applies to personal data collected through our websites operated by SEIKO or by third parties acting for and on our behalf as data processors and further processed for the purposes specified herein. This policy does not apply to personal data collected from offline resources and communications. This policy also does not apply to third-party online resources to which our websites may link, where we do not control the content or the privacy practices of such resources.
Should you have any questions about this policy or our data collection, use and disclosure practices, please contact us.
As referred to in this policy, references to “us,” “we,” “our,” and “SEIKO” generally means Seiko Watch Corporation (these can include affiliates of SEIKO depending on the contexts).
Who are we?
Seiko Watch Corporation located at 26-1, Ginza 1-chome, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-8118, Japan will act as a data controller and will process your personal data collected through our websites.
Collection of Your Personal Data
We collect personal data online through our websites. Individuals may access many parts of our websites without providing any personal data. If you contact us and choose to provide your personal data, such as your name, address, telephone number or e-mail address, by entering into forms or data fields on our websites and corresponding with us, we will collect and use the personal data.
When you visit our websites, we automatically collect information about your computer or other electronic device which may include your Internet Protocol (IP) address, date and time of your request and information provided by tracking technologies, such as cookies.
The Reason Why We Collect, Use and Share Your Personal Data
We process your personal data to the extent permitted or required under applicable laws, for the following purposes:
- to (i) sell SEIKO’s products and services to you, (ii) bill you for SEIKO’s products and services you have requested, (iii) deliver SEIKO’s products and services to you, (iv) implement online membership services and (v) perform SEIKO’s obligations under a contract to which you are a party (jointly “Performance Purposes”)
- to (i) provide you with promotional information on SEIKO’s products and services, (ii) carry out promotional activities (including various sweepstakes and membership services) to you, (iii) send to you invitations to promotional events, (iv) invite you to participate in surveys and market research activities, and (v) analyze your interests to improve SEIKO’s products and services (jointly “Marketing Purposes”)
- to respond to your inquiry (“Contact Purpose”)
- to comply with and enforce our rights and perform our obligations under applicable laws
We process your personal data for Performance Purposes, Marketing Purposes and Contact Purpose based on your consent. When disclosing your opinions and photos on our website, we will only post information that is appropriate in light of this policy after obtaining your consent. We may also process your personal data to comply with and enforce our rights and perform our obligations under applicable laws.
You can also refuse to provide your personal data to us. However, if you do not provide your data, this can have an effect on your use of website or some features on our websites may not fully function.
Share of Your Personal Data with Third Parties
Your personal data are intended for us but may be shared with third parties in certain circumstances:
SEIKO group Affiliates: SEIKO may share your personal data among SEIKO group affiliates in order to administer SEIKO’s services and products, provide you with customer support, process payments, understand your preferences, send you information about products and services that may be of interest to you and conduct the other activities described in this policy.
Service providers: We use other companies, agents or contractors to perform services on our behalf or to assist us with the provision of the SEIKO services and products to you. We may share personal data with the following categories of service provider:
- SEIKO’s distributors
- infrastructure and IT service providers, including for email archiving
- marketing, advertising and communications agencies
- credit reference agencies
- accounting auditors and various advisers
In the course of providing such services, these service providers may have access to your personal data. However, we will only provide our service providers with personal data which is necessary for them to perform their services, and we require them not to use your information for any other purpose. We will use our best efforts to ensure that all our service providers keep your personal data secure.
Third parties permitted by law: In certain circumstances, we may be required to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation (for example, we may be required to disclose personal data to the police, regulators, government agencies or to judicial or administrative authorities).
We may also disclose your personal data to third parties where disclosure is both legally permissible and necessary to protect or defend our rights, matters of national security, law enforcement, to enforce our contracts or protect your rights or those of the public.
Third parties connected with business transfers: We may transfer your personal data to third parties in connection with a reorganization, restructuring, merger or acquisition or transfer of assets, provided that the receiving party agrees to treat your personal data in a manner consistent with this policy.
We will not sell your personal data to third parties.
Please note our websites may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our business contacts or affiliates. Please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and we have no control over how they may use your personal data. You should check the privacy policies of third party websites before you submit any personal data to them.
Transfer of Personal Data Outside Your Country
Your personal data may be transferred to and processed outside of the country you are located by SEIKO group affiliates and our service providers. We will take all steps that are reasonably necessary to ensure that your personal data is treated securely and in accordance with this policy as well as applicable data protection laws, including, where European data protection law is applied, by entering into standard contractual clauses (or equivalent measures) with the party outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
Protection of Your Personal Data
We have complied strictly with rules for handling of personal data, according to its sensitivity, as well as to implement technical and organizational security measures to protect personal data in our possession from unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. Such measures include administrative, technical and physical safeguards, for example, limiting access to personal data only to employees and authorized service providers who need to know such information for the purposes described in this policy.
Protection of the Privacy of Children
Our website may provide optional features for children under 16 years of age, and may collect personal information of the children. When we do offer those features, we will request to provide parent’s name and contact information to ensure that verifiable parental consent is obtained prior to any collection, use or disclosure of personal data from children.
Customers who are under 16 years of age have to inform your parents that you need to obtain the consent to the processing of your personal information, show this policy to your parents, provide parent’s name and contact information to us, and have your parents’ consent to the processing of your personal information.
You have the following rights in accordance with applicable laws and regulations:
- Access. You have the right to obtain from us confirmation as to whether or not personal data concerning you is being processed, and, where that is the case, to request access to the personal data. You have the right to obtain a copy of the personal data undergoing processing.
- Rectification. You have the right to have incomplete or inaccurate personal data that we process about you rectified.
- Erasure. You have the right to request that we delete personal data that we process about you, except we are not obliged to do so if we need to retain such data in order to comply with a legal obligation or to establish, exercise or
defend legal claims.
- Restriction. You have the right to restrict our processing of your personal data where you believe such data to be inaccurate; our processing is unlawful; or that we no longer need to process such data for a particular purpose unless we are not able to delete the data due to a legal or other obligation or because you do not wish for us to delete it.
- Portability. You have the right to obtain personal data we hold about you, in a structured, electronic format, and to transmit such data to another data controller, where this is (1) personal data which you have provided to us, and (2) if we are processing that personal data on the basis of your consent or to perform a contract with you.
- Objection. Where the legal justification for our processing of your personal data is our legitimate interest, you have the right to object to such processing on grounds relating to your particular situation. We will abide by your request
unless we have compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your interests and rights, or if we need to continue to process the data for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal claim.
- Withdrawing Consent. If you have consented to our processing of your personal data, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, free of charge. This includes where you wish to opt out from marketing messages.
Where you wish to exercise any of these rights, please send us the request via email at [email protected]. For your own privacy and security, we may require evidence of your identity or to be provided with additional information before we are able to act on your request when the information we have is insufficient to accommodate your request. We will attempt to provide any requested information or make requested changes in accordance with applicable laws.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the local personal data protection regulatory authority in accordance with applicable laws if you believe that we have not complied with applicable personal data protection laws.
If you are based in or the issue you would like to complain about took place elsewhere in the EEA, a list of local data protection authorities in the EEA countries is available here:
Your Personal Data Retention Period
We generally retain personal data for as long as reasonably needed for the specific business purpose or purposes for which it was collected and the duration of your use of our websites. In some cases, we may be required to retain information for a longer period of time based on laws or regulations that apply to our business. Where possible, we aim to anonymize the information or remove unnecessary identifiers from records that we may need to keep for periods beyond the original retention period. Once personal data is no longer necessary, we delete or anonymize it as soon as possible.
Should you have questions or concerns about this policy or our privacy practices, please contact us via email at [email protected]. As we will collect your personal information including your email address, name, and address and use such information to respond to your inquiry, please send us an email after reading this policy and agreeing to provide your personal information.
Update of this policy
We may update this policy at from time to time. We reserve the right to modify, add or remove portions of this policy. If we decide to change this policy, we will post an alert on the home page of this website.
*Privacy notice for Calfornia residents